Sleeve Gastrectomy for Gastroparesis

by Columbia Surgery on March 22, 2011

Novel use of weight loss surgery may help patients debilitated by gastroparesis.

As advanced as modern medicine has become, in some cases, it may still fall short. Patients who develop a condition called gastroparesis are among those who may exhaust the limits of available therapies and suffer a very compromised quality of life.

Gastroparesis is a disorder in which the stomach can not properly contract and empty its contents into the intestines. Since food can’t move food normally through the digestive system, patients may experience daily pain, nausea, vomiting, abdominal bloating, malnutrition, and more. The most common cause is poorly controlled diabetes.

Based on their long-term experience with surgery for weight loss, physicians at the Center for Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery suspected that a laparoscopic procedure called sleeve gastrectomy, normally used to help patients lose weight, could help patients with severe gastroparesis.

Sleeve Gastrectomy

An initial investigation included four diabetic patients whose gastroparesis was not relieved by other therapies. After sleeve gastrectomy, all four were able to eat and drink, and their nausea and vomiting stopped. According to Melissa Bagloo, MD, Assistant Professor of Clinical Surgery, Division of Minimal Access/Bariatric Surgery, “For patients who face the prospect of life-long feeding tubes, the benefits of such a successful outcome can not be overstated.”

Based on the success in the initial four patients, NYP/Columbia is conducting further study and has instituted a program that will offer all treatments, including gastric pacemakers and sleeve gastrectomy, for patients with gastroparesis. “We believe that laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy may be a less invasive option that allows patients to eat normally and regain their quality of life,” says Dr. Bagloo.

Related Link:
healthpoints: Sleeve Gastrectomy for Gastroparesis

Jeff Heimbach October 21, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I currently suffer from severe gastroparesis due to vagus nerve damage caused by surgery. I am being transferred to Temple university on Sunday the 23 for treatment with dr. Fisher. I would like to learn more about The sleeve gastrectomy.

Columbia Surgery October 21, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Jeff:

Thank you so much for your comment.

Please call our referral number to 800.227.2762 to get the name and contact information of a gastroparesis specialist in our Center for Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery. In the meantime, I will forward your message on to the center. Their web site is http://www.obesitymd.org.

Kelly Toporek March 29, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I have been suffering from gastroparesis for four years now and I’ve been to dieticians and been on multiple medications. I vomit multiple times day, everyday. I have been told my doctors that my throat is deteriorating and that I have enochipilic esaphagitis. I was wondering if the sleeve gastrectomy would be an option for me?

Columbia Surgery March 30, 2012 at 9:56 am

Kelly:

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having.

I am going to pass your message and email address onto Dr. Bagloo. She’ll be the best person to answer your question. In the unlikely event that she does not get back to you, please feel free to contact her office at 212.305.9506 or leave another comment on this article.

Carin Eriksson May 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Hi
Are you still doing sleeve gastrectomy in patients with gastroparesis with the same positive outcome, and is there any more information available about it? I am feeding tube dependent from gastroparesis and have a G/J tube since my duodenum doesn´t work either (jejenum is ok). Is there any chance the operation could be an option for me (I guess the duodenum would have to be disconnected as well)? I so very much would like to be able to eat again… Sorry about my bad English, I´m not from the US.

Columbia Surgery May 8, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Carin:

I am forwarding your questions to Dr. Bagloo, who wrote this article for us. She would be the best person to answer your question.

If for some reason you do not hear back from, her please feel free to call her office directly at 212-305-9506. (You can also leave me another message and I will follow up on anything else you might need.)

Leslie Litvik June 20, 2012 at 3:36 am

Has Dr. Bagloo done the sleeve surgery on a teenager or would she be willing to review my daughters case? She is 15 and has suffered for four years with severe post viral gastroparesis. As of today, we have exhausted every option available to us. This morning she lost her 4th central line used for TPN and IV meds. We are desperate to talk with the Doctor about treating her. Please let me know what my next step would be to get a review in motion. Thank you so much.
P.S. we live in Dallas and are more then ready to head to NY

Columbia Surgery June 20, 2012 at 11:53 am

Leslie:

I am going to pass your message on to Dr. Bagloo along with your email address. In the off case that you do not hear back from myself or someone within our Center for Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery Center, please feel free to call them directly at 212-305-4000. (The web site is http://obesitymd.org/)

rebecca July 17, 2012 at 11:01 am

my daughter has severe gastric paresis. Meds max out, nutritional deficits. We are desperate to find any treatments for this horrible disease. She is 26 years old , was diagnosed at 18 years old. gasrtic sleeve can be an option. we would be very interested. please how can we gain more info?

Columbia Surgery July 17, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Rebecca:

I am going to forward your comment and email address to Dr. Melissa Bagloo. She would be the best person on staff to address your question.

Hilary Hollister July 24, 2012 at 2:30 am

I have been diabetic for 28 years and have developed gastroparesis. I have tried reglan, domperidone, and Botox without success. Is the sleeve gastrectomy still being done, and how hard is it to get insurance companies to approve this type of surgery?

Columbia Surgery July 24, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Hilary:

I am going to send your message on to Dr. Melissa Bagloo at our Center for Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery. As soon as I hear back from her, I will let you know what she says.

In the unlikely event that you do not hear back, please feel free to contact her office directly at 212-305-9506. Dr Bagloo’s detailed contact information can be found by clicking on the link below:

Nina August 19, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I have had gastroparesis for three years now. My problem is a little different from other people with the problem. I have a lot of pain and blotting and nausia with mine . I have not lost weight with mine i have gained. I am measerable all the time from the pressure on my stomach where the food stays stuck in my stomach. I also have cronic constipation. I have talked to my GI doctor about having bariatic surgery and he said because i have gastroparesis he would not recommend me have the surgery. He is not treating me at all for the gastroparesis other than nausia medication and acid med. I want to have the surgery for the gastroparesis and for the weight gain and to just fill better instead of filling horrible. I just would like to know if i could have the surgery safely without making the gastroparesis worse. The reason i have gastroparesis is because of having surgery to remove my gallbladder. Please could you let me know if I can have the surgery without making me worse.

Columbia Surgery August 20, 2012 at 10:20 am

Nina:

I am going to forward your comment to Dr. Melissa Bagloo. She would be the best person on staff to address your question.

Gail Wylde August 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm

My 27 year old daughter has severe gastroparesis which has completely compromised her quality of life. She has not responded well to medications, including experimental medications while inpatient at Stanford. Please let us know if the sleeve gastrectomy is still being done.

Columbia Surgery August 20, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Gail:

As this article has been written by Dr. Bagloo over a year ago, I have forwarded your question onto her to confirm the sleeve gastrectomy procedure is still being performed. I will reply as soon as I have heard her response.

In the unlikely event that you do not hear from her, you may contact her office directly for more information at 212-305-9506. Dr Bagloo’s detailed contact information can also be found by clicking on the link below:

Amy August 24, 2012 at 8:16 am

I have had gastroparesis for about 5 years now & it is getting worse. My case is very much like Nina’s. I have alot of pain, bloating & nausea. I have just started with the weight weight loss. Anything that I do eat eat feels like it is stuck in my stomach and doesn’t go anywhere. I am going back for my 2nd stomach emptying test to see how much the gastroparesis has progressed. I also wanted to know if the sleeve was done & something were to happen later on could a feeding tube still be put in if needed? Any direction you maybe willing to provide would be great. Thank you in advance!

Columbia Surgery August 24, 2012 at 11:48 am

Amy:

sara cates October 4, 2012 at 3:29 am

I have been diagnosed with gastroparesis since 2008. I had a PICC line for 2 years then finally had a gastric pacemaker placed in 2010. The battery died after 2 years and they replaced it 4 months ago. I’m not recovering/progressing as quick as I would like to. I returned to the doctor 2 weeks ago and he told me that my battery is going fast again, that I only have 31 months left on it. He told me I need to consider having gastric bypass surgery. I’m wondering if you know of anyone else having the same problems and procedures and their outcomes. Also, I would like to join some type of study group so that maybe oneday someone else will benefit from my experiences. Thank You.

Columbia Surgery October 4, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Sara:

Let me pass your message on to Dr. Bagloo as well as Carol Cohen the administrator for the Center for Weight Loss and Bariatric Surgery. As soon as I hear back from either of them I will let you know.

If for some unusual reason they do not get back to you, please feel free to call them at 212-305-4000.

Chris October 22, 2012 at 6:03 am

Hello we live in the UK and my wife has suffered with gp for the last 3-4 years ago and despite having a gastric stimulator fitted last July she is progressively getting worse resulting in hospitalisation every 10-14 days for pain relief. Her surgeon has advised that the stimulator is not having the desired effect and we should consider other options. After researching we came across Dr Bagloo’s article and we were wondering if the study has progressed at all and how the original patients were recovering. If there is a good level of success we were hoping to present it as an option to our surgeon here in the UK.

Columbia Surgery October 22, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Chris:

Let me circle back with Dr. Bagloo and see if she has any updated information on this.

(Thanks for your comment!)

Columbia Surgery November 5, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Chris:

I received the following reply back from Dr. Bagloo:

“The data is still very young with a limited number of patients, but remains promising. Of course, every patient has to be evaluated on an individual basis. However, looking into the sleeve as an alternative is certainly an option. Please do not hesitate to contact me through the office at 212-305-9506 if I can be of further help. Best of luck.”

Columbia Surgery November 5, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Sara:

I received the following reply back from Dr. Bagloo:

“As you know, the gastric stimulator battery life is variable and may need replacing from time to time. If this becomes too cumbersome or the stimulator is no longer relieving your symptoms, other surgical options may become necessary. We have had promising results with the sleeve gastrectomy, but every patient has to be considered on an individual basis. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our office.”

Sue January 15, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I have been dealing with gastrparesis for 5 to 6 years now and all medical options have not provided the relief I need. Looking for surgical options.

Columbia Surgery January 16, 2013 at 11:22 am

Thank you Sue for your inquiry.

Dr. Bagloo would be the best person on staff to address your question, but it is difficult to offer medical advice without a patient history or full exam. To contact her office, please call 212-305-9506. More information about Dr. Bagloo can be found by clicking on the link below:

I hope this helps answers your question.

Katie February 15, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I have had gastroparesis since 2006. Been on motility drugs and seem to be developing a tolerance for them. I am very interested in learning more about the gastric sleeve for gastroparesis. I feel I have no other options. I have malnutrition and can’t tell you the last time I ate a fruit or vegetable. Please help.

Renee V. February 15, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I am currently getting qualified by my insurance company to get the VSG surgery. However I am wondering if the newer and less dangerous sleeve plication surgery also resolves gastroparesis? Have there been any studies on this?

Columbia Surgery February 19, 2013 at 10:06 am

Renee,

Thank you for your inquiry. I have forwarded your comment to Dr. Bagloo, who would be the best person to answer your question.

In the unlikely event that you do not hear from her, please feel free to contact her office directly at 212-305-9506. More information about Dr. Bagloo can be found by clicking on the link below:

Columbia Surgery February 19, 2013 at 10:08 am

Katie,

I am sorry to hear about your difficulty. I have passed your message onto to Dr. Bagloo, who would be the best person to answer your question. In the unlikely event that you do not hear from her, please feel free to contact her office directly at 212-305-9506. Dr Bagloo’s detailed contact information can be found by clicking on the link below:

Tonya J April 7, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I just wanted to leave a comment about what I have been through and done. I have severe Gastroparesis. I have severe nausea, vomiting and pain in my stomach every day, with taking zofran, phenagran and domperidone all day long. I havent been able to eat food for a year now, I been on protein shakes only. I got GP from diabetes. I was headed for feeding tubes. I ran across this site in the summer, found a very excellant baratric doctor 2 hours from me consulted with him. He hadnt heard of the sleeve surgery helping GP, until I showed him the above article. He personally knew the doctor doing the study and call and talk to him. He was willing to give it a try to see if it would help me. I had the surgery on March 25, 2013. Since the day of the surgery NO MORE vomiting, nausea or pain in my stomach from GP!!! Today is April 7th 2013. Still no vomiting, nausea, or pain and no meds for it either. Also side benefit no shots for diabetes either since surgery!! Still not sure if I will be able to eat again yet but that would be just a side benefit. Right now still on shakes til new stomach gets settled down. You dont really try food til about day 30. Still have a sore stomach from surgery but heck yes I would do it again! Totally worth it!! Just thought I would let other GPers know you dont have to go to Columbia in New York to have it done, just to a weight loss center that does the sleeve procedure. Good luck!! Feel free to write back to check on my progress or ask questions.
Tonya J
Kentucky

Crystal R G. April 29, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Hello,
I was diagnosed with gastroparesis about a year ago. I don’t have the nausea or vomiting but my stomach gets very bloated and very uncomfortable. I went to my gastro md and he did a nuclear med test and they found that my gallbladder is not working either along with my stomach not really doing anything. I would like to get help before this gets any worse. I have not lost any weight but gained alittle so far. I am in menopause so that is a plus. I really would like to have this undercontrol before it does get worse. Please advise me on what to do. The md’s around here really can’t deal with my problem.
Crystal R G.

Columbia Surgery April 30, 2013 at 10:04 am

Crystal,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I have forwarded your comment to Dr. Bagloo, who would be best to handle your inquiry. When I receive a response, I will reply.

In the rare event she does not respond, you may contact her office directly at: 212-305-9506. You may also learn more about the doctor via her Columbia Surgery profile page, which I have included below:

Joni May 6, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I’m 32 years old and I have been suffering from Gastroparesis since early 2007 after having surgery to remove cancer from my left kidney. I have tried all of the medications used to treat the symptoms of Gasroparesis, feeding tubes, and also the Gastric Neurostimulator none of which have been successful. I have honestly had to many surgeries and am not really considering the option of having another one anytime soon, but knowing all of the options that are out there is extremly helpful and I am thankful for it being so. Everyone’s story is different and all inspiring just the same. I currently get IV medications and fluids with Potassium through a Port in my arm at the hospital Out Patient Service Unit near my home four days aweek. Holding down oral medications is near impossible for me and at times harder than others.I have really bad episodes to where I cannot hold down just the normal gastric acids that collect in my stomach and cannot tolerate anything at all. My everyday normal life consists of eating and vomiting; I am able to sustain my weight and my nutrition levels enough on most days so that I don’t have to get TPN, although the four liters of fluids that I get every week help in the maintaing of my weight as well as keeing me hydrated enoughto manage day to day. I love seeing all of the successful stories and outcomes for the various treatments of Gastroparesis and hope to see many more. This is a hard condition to live with on an everyday basis and I have learned to live with it in a way that suits me well enough to make it through the day. My medical history is complicated due to other health issues that I have to deal with, but Gastroparesis has shown to be the most challenging one so far. There is hope so don’t get discouraged live everyday with love, faith, and laughter because these things will help see you through.
Joni

Brandi M. May 26, 2013 at 8:18 am

Hi There,
I am a 27 yr old female with gastroparesis and have had stomach issues since I was 8, however wasn’t diagnosed until age 16. I have pain all the time which I have to take narcotics for, severe bloating where I can look pregnant, and nausea, however thankfully I do not vomit. None of the motility meds work for me, I have tried Botox injections and the pacemaker isn’t an option for me because of my lack of vomiting. I am unable to work or go to school and am currently living with my parents on disabiltiy and am rarely able to leave the house. Like the others, I am extremely interested in the sleeve gastrectomy to improve my quality of life. I was wondering if they’re still being done for gastroparesis, or if there are any new clinical studies on it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
~Brandi

Columbia Surgery May 28, 2013 at 10:03 am

Hi Brandi,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear about your difficulties.

In November 2012, we had received an update from Dr. Bagloo that “The data is still very young with a limited number of patients, but remains promising. Of course, every patient has to be evaluated on an individual basis.” I will forward your comment to her and inquire if there have been any updates. I will write back when I receive a response.

You may always also reach out to her office directly at: 212-305-9506. More information about her can be found on her profile: http://asp.cpmc.columbia.edu/facdb/profile_list.asp?uni=mb3245&DepAffil=Surgery

Columbia Surgery May 28, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Brandi,

I have received the following response from Dr. Bagloo:

I’m sorry to hear about your trouble. We are still offering the sleeve gastrectomy as an option to select patients. The best way to see if you are a candidate would be to make an appointment for a consultation. The results remain encouraging. The gastric stimulator is also an option for management of gastroparesis and does not require that you have the symptom of vomiting. Please contact us if we can be of further help.

Again, Dr. Bagloo’s office phone number is: 212-305-9506. Please let me know if we can be of further assistance.

Columbia Surgery May 28, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Crystal,

I have received the following comment from Dr. Bagloo:

I’m sorry to hear you are having trouble finding a doctor to help control your symptoms. The best way to give you personalized care would be to come in for a consultation. I look forward to meeting you.

Again, you may contact her office at: 212-305-9506. Thank you and please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

JJ July 19, 2013 at 7:50 am

I am a 35 year old female who has gastroparesis, and I suffer with nausea, vomiting, extreme bloating and fatigue and I am very interested to know if this would be an option for me. Despite eating less than ever and some days having only fluids, I am gaining rather than loosing weight and have a pregnant appearance.
I have been tested for everything at the endocrinologist to see if I have some undetected issues and everything is normal and my gastroenterologist simply said that some people gain weight from gastroparesis instead of loosing it. He suggests that I consider a gastric pacemaker, but from what I have read, they often don’t have good results and if they do, it seems only temporary. My weight is creeping up daily, I have extreme abdominal pain and discomfort and only some nausea medications and dietary guidelines to help me manage. I have two small children that I struggle to keep up with, as this disease leaches energy and joy from my life every day.

Columbia Surgery July 19, 2013 at 10:09 am

JJ,

Brandi M. August 11, 2013 at 2:52 am

Hi There,
I emailed before, but I was just wondering if it was possible for Dr. Bagloo to tell us how many sleeve gastrectomy’s she’s done on gastroparesis patients since this study and what the average health issues are like after surgery? Any info on past patients recovery would be great, in a general sense without breaking docotor/patient confidentiality of course. Thanks again.
~ Brandi

Columbia Surgery August 12, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Hi Brandi,

I am forwarding your follow-up question to Dr. Bagloo. As soon as I hear a response, I will reply.

Again, you may always also reach out to her office directly at: 212-305-9506. More information about her can be found on her profile: http://asp.cpmc.columbia.edu/facdb/profile_list.asp?uni=mb3245&DepAffil=Surgery

Best regards.

Sophie V September 26, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I am a 34 year old female Canadian. A year and a half ago I became deathly ill from symptoms related to gastroparesis and was hospitalized for three weeks. After recovering, I did fairly well for about a year with a modified diet, but my condition greatly worsened in the past 6 months. Now, I can only tolerate clear fluids and have had a naso-jejunal feeding tube for 9 weeks. The doctors tell me the next step is a J tube. I am interested in gastric surgery so that I may have a better quality of life and return to work. I also have an anatomical abnormality of my stomach which no doctor I have met has ever seen before or has any knowledge of. I managed to find out it is called Gastroptosis – when there is food in my stomach it distends to the point that the lower portion of my stomach sits in my pelvis. I am trying to find out if this could affect my stomach motility but have not been able to find one doctor here who is willing or able to look further into this. I am feeling frustrated as I need to make a decision about my next step for treatment as I am stuck with the N/J feeding tube until then. I would rather a more permanent and life improving intervention than a J-tube. There are two doctors in my area who do Bariatric surgery but I am not sure if they have the expertise required to do my surgery or if I would even be able to access these doctors and have timely surgery due to the nature of the system here. Can Dr. Bangloo provide me with some advice? This article finally has given me some hope.

Columbia Surgery September 27, 2013 at 10:42 am

Hi Sophie,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Sorry to hear about your medical frustrations. I am forwarding your comment to Dr. Melissa Bagloo, who will be able to best provide advice. As soon as I hear her response, I will reply.

You may also contact her office directly at 212-305-9506. More information about Dr. Bagloo can be found at: http://asp.cpmc.columbia.edu/facdb/profile_list.asp?uni=mb3245&DepAffil=Surgery

Best regards.

Columbia Surgery September 27, 2013 at 11:36 am

I have received the following advice from Dr. Bagloo:

“Hi Sophie, I am sorry to hear about your current condition. Unfortunately, I cannot give detailed advice without a full evaluation. However, bariatric surgeons who perform sleeve gastrectomy will be familiar with the technique of the operation and may be able to help. A feeding tube is often necessary for patients in your condition as a source of nutrition and can be used temporarily until more definitive treatment can be undertaken. I would encourage you to seek out one of the surgeons you have found to discuss your symptoms and undergo further evaluation. Best of luck.”

I hope this information helps, Sophie. Best of luck.

Aishia M. November 5, 2013 at 12:16 am

Hello, my name is Aishia and I have diagnosed with Gastroparesis and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Over the past year I have been admitted into the hospital many times which often resulted in an extended stay to have test completed and new medicines to be tried. I have been tried on several motility meds and none seem to work over an extended amount of time. I am a wife and mother of 3 and at times I cannot even get out of bed because I am in so much pain, other times I can get out of bed but the vomiting is very severe. I know every patient is different however I would love to be considered for the Sleeve Gastrectomy, I have had my Gallbladder removed and also had a partial hysterectomy in hopes that my issue will be resolved and I am still struggling with this issue. My employment is borderline because of attendance due to this illness. Please advise if there is any way I could be considered for the Sleeve Gastrectomy procedure.

Aishia M.

Columbia Surgery November 6, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Hi Aishia,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am forwarding your comment to Dr. Bagloo, who would best be able to address your question. As soon as I receive a response, I will reply.

In the meantime, if you would like more information on Dr. Bagloo, please visit her Department of Surgery profile (http://asp.cpmc.columbia.edu/facdb/profile_list.asp?uni=mb3245&DepAffil=Surgery). You may always contact her office as well, at: 212-305-9506

Columbia Surgery November 6, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Hi Aishia,

I have received the following response from Dr. Bagloo:

Aisha, I’m sorry to hear about your persistent symptoms. Please contact my office for an appointment to discuss your options personally as I cannot offer any medical advice without a full evaluation. I look forward to meeting you.

Again, you may contact her office at: 212-305-9506 to arrange an appointment. Best regards.

Pam November 11, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I was dx w/ GP two years ago after a swallowing study and over 10 years of symptoms that were never dx properly. My symptoms are abdominal pain, nausea, abdominal extension and GERD, which I have bee Rx’d Zegerid. These symptoms occur at least 3-4 times a week. It does not seem to matter what I eat these symptoms can occur. The only time I have been symptom free is when I am not eating. I have been on Reglan with severe neurological symptoms. I have been to three GI specialists and one dietitian and so far have been given a GP diet from all three. This does not work and am looking for additional suggestions. Thank you for your time.

Columbia Surgery November 12, 2013 at 10:08 am

Thank you, Pam, for your inquiry. I have forwarded it onto Dr. Bagloo, who would be best able to address it. As soon as I hear a response, I will reply.

In the meantime, you may learn more about her by visiting her Columbia Department of Surgery Profile: http://asp.cpmc.columbia.edu/facdb/profile_list.asp?uni=mb3245&DepAffil=Surgery. You may also contact her office at: 212-305-9506.