New YouTube Video about Kidney Donation and Transplantation

by Columbia Surgery on July 13, 2011

Lloyd Ratner, MD, Director of Renal and Pancreatic Transplantation at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, has released a highly informative YouTube video regarding kidney donation and transplantation. The video is addressed to prospective patients, kidney donors, and families, and provides clear answers to their most common concerns.

In this direct and engaging presentation, Dr. Ratner addresses topics such as the advantages of living donor kidney donation; laparoscopic and open surgical techniques; what donors and recipients should expect during and after surgery; post-operative pain and follow-up; and post-donation pregnancy. The full seventeen-minute video can be seen here:

Cara Yesawich July 15, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Dear Dr. Ratner,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for making this video!!!! There is a desperate need in the United States for education on the Living Donor Process as well and more importantly, what a kidney pairing is and how it works. So many people are under the mis-conception that if they are not a match for their loved one and friends that
because they are not a match, that’s the end of it!

I am the alturistic domino, living donor that allowed 8 people to receive a new kidney in Northwestern’s largest kidney pairing. It is my one year anniversary of donating and I only wish I could do it again. I have now mentored 12 people through the process and that brings me as much joy as donating.

Because there is such a great need of the living donor process I am contacted constantly through my webiste. It is so nice to have this link to send to those who are considering donating.

Cara

Columbia Surgery July 15, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Cara thanks for your comment. I will make sure that Dr. Ratner receives your message. You deserve credit for being a donor and then helping spreading the message about it on your blog. Doctors can only do so much. It takes people like you to get things done! (Congrats on the creatinine level too!)

Chaya Lipschutz July 25, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Thanks Dr. Ratner for this great video info!

I donated a kidney to a stranger in September 2005. Since my kidney donation, I have been wanting to do more, so I now have a project to help others who are in need of a kidney. I don’t get paid for this and don’t charge a fee. My brother donated a kidney as well – to someone on my list of people in need of a kidney.

I have made, thank G-d, many kidney matches. I help people of all races.

If anyone out there would like more info on kidney donation, feel free to contact me as well. Also information on my website.

Sincerely,

Chaya Lipschutz
Website: http://www.SaveALife-DonateAKidney.com
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtZ7KModWRU

Columbia Surgery July 25, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Chaya:

The doctors would not be able to do this great work without help from people like you. So thank you for your support and outreach.

Chaya Lipschutz July 28, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Thank you, Dr. Ratner!

I posted this great video on my Facebook page and will forward to others in the future who want info on kidney donation.

You covered so much and explained things so clearly, it is really such great info! Thanks so much for doing this video!

I know people who had transplants done by you and are so happy they did! You have a great repuation!

May G-d reward you and your family with good health, always!

Best wishes always,

Chaya

Chaya Lipschutz July 28, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Dr. Ratner, this is also great info, not just for those considering kidney donation, but also for people who need a kidney! As I know there are people out there that need a kidney that are reluctant to have family members test, as they too may not know much about kidney donation and may be fearful, as sometimes it is just a lack of knowlege. So hopefully those too who need a kidney will watch this great video, and as a a result will be more willing to have family members test and donate a kidney!

Steve Scarduzio August 1, 2011 at 12:28 am

Dr. Ratner is one of the top transplant surgeons in the world. He is a great doctor. Thank you for all you do. -Steve S.

Angela Stimpson August 1, 2011 at 8:40 am

Thank you for this. Well done!

Altruistic Kidney Donor :: 09.22.10

Columbia Surgery August 1, 2011 at 11:55 am

Thanks for your comment Angela. I am sure you have already been thanked for your donation.

I hope the video is informative. Please feel free to circulate it if you think it helps explain the process to others!

Columbia Surgery August 1, 2011 at 11:57 am

Thanks for our comment Steve. I will make sure that Dr. Ratner gets your message.

Chaya Lipschutz September 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Your great video will help save more lives!

Dr. Ratner, I put a link to your video on a posting I had seeking a kidney donor for someone. A man had responded that he was interested in donating a kidney. He had told me that he was married. I asked him how his wife felt about him donating a kidney. He told me in the past, his wife said no. But when he saw my recent e-mail seeking a kidney donor with the link to your video – he watched it and then got his wife to watch. And as a result, and his wife changed her mind and is now allowing her husband to donate a kidney! She said to him “go for it!”

Thanks so much for doing this great video – that I am sure will result in more lives being saved!

Maria August 26, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Thank you for this video! I am in the process of finding out if I (age 53) am a match to donate a kidney to my younger brother (age 51). The information here was very helpful as I continue my discernment. Thanks!

Columbia Surgery August 27, 2012 at 9:37 am

Thanks Maria. If you have any questions for Dr. Ratner or one of our kidney specialists, you can leave another comment or send your question to info@columbiasurgery.org. Best wishes to your brother!

cassie v. July 27, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Hi I just watched your video and I am considering donating my kidney to a 25 year old girl. I have been trying to contact them but she just had a heart attack so they are to busy right now to explain to me on what to do and how to go about donating my kidney. So I was wondering if you could explain to be the places I would have to go to see if I am a match I think I have the same blood type at her A- but I am going to re check tomorrow. So if you can please help me by explaining the type of places I have to go to.

Cassie V.

Columbia Surgery July 29, 2013 at 9:46 am

Cassie,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I have forwarded your question to our experts at the Renal and Pancreatic Transplantation center. As soon as I hear a response, I will reply.

In the rare case that you do not hear from them, you may always contact them directly at: 212.305.6469. For more information, you may visit: http://www.columbiasurgery.org/pat/kidneypancreastx/contact_kidney.html