Social Media Policy
By posting to ANY Columbia University Department of Surgery (“Department of Surgery”) social media site which includes, but is not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, you agree to the following terms:
- Posts and comments can only be made by those who are at least 13 years old.
- The posting of any personal patient health information is strictly prohibited.
- The Department of Surgery Web or social media sites cannot be used to provide medical advice or give recommendations.
- The Department of Surgery reserves the right to delete or block any post or user account at any time without notice for any reason.
- Posts cannot violate any international, national or local laws. These include, but are not limited to, intellectual property, trademark, and copyright laws.
- The posting of profane, abusive, obscene, libelous, hateful, or similarly negative comments is strictly prohibited. The Department of Surgery will have sole discretion in determining if a comment or post is profane, abusive, obscene, libelous, hateful, or similarly negative.
- The willful impersonation of a person or organization other than yourself or the intentional misrepresentation as to your identity is prohibited.
- Only information that is legal controlled or under the personal authority of the poster, can be uploaded to a the Department of Surgery Web or social media site.
- Links or comments that contain spam, junk mail, unwanted solicitations, or political associations are prohibited. The Department of Surgery has sole discretion in determining if a link or comment contain spams, junk mail, unwanted solicitations, or political associations.
- Any link or download that contains a virus, malware, spyware, a computer worm, or any similarly damaging program is strictly prohibited.
- Columbia University employees must adhere to the Columbia University Human Resources Policies appropriate for their position. Current copies can be found at the Columbia University Medical Center Human Resources Web site.
- The Department of Surgery must comply with any requests for the disclosure of posts and communications as required by law or governmental authorities. In the event that such a request occurs, the Department of Surgery will do so with no liability to the person(s) involved.
- The posting of content on any the Department of Surgery Web or social media site, grants the Department of Surgery the irrevocable right to distribute, publish, display, or create derivative works of this content for any the Department of Surgery purpose.
- The Department of Surgery, its corporate affiliates, officers, directors, employees, contractors, agents, successors, and assignees are indemnified of any legal liability, that occurs as the result of a posting by an outside party on a Department of Surgery Web or social media site, that violates a law or creates a legal claim. Any costs, liabilities and reasonable attorney fees arising out of such a claim, will be reimbursable to the Department of Surgery by the poster.
- All responsibility related to the security, privacy and confidentiality of posting information on the Internet is understood by parties who post information on Department of Surgery Web and social media sites. The Department of Surgery is not responsible for the loss of security, privacy, or confidentiality related the posting of information on a Department of Surgery Web or social media site.
- Any dispute or claim arising of content that on a the Department of Surgery Web or social media site shall be bound, and under the jurisdiction of New York, NY.
- This policy can be updated at any time without notice. Each time a user accesses a Department of Surgery Web or social media site the updated policy is effective immediately.